RELEVANT AREAS: Revenue Planning, Strategic Workforce Planning, Succession Planning, Business Planning and Organization Design
FutureSense was retained by a large professional services firm to help them make sense of their shifting business dynamics, by developing strategies which ensured both profitable and sustainable growth for their core as well as new lines of businesses. To manage these changes proactively, FutureSense partnered with key stakeholders to create a five-year business and people plan through:
- Environmental Analysis – conducted an environmental analysis and identified revenue projections for various business lines.
- This analysis explored the current business lines and their sustainability, as well as identified any existing and potential business lines and the opportunities and challenges that existed with each area of business.
- Revenue Forecast – based on the environmental analysis and revenue projections, FutureSense developed a high level pro-forma for next five years.
- The goal of this task was to create a roadmap for the success and sustainability of the firm by intelligently growing the new businesses faster than the core businesses, in order to shift the mix to be less dependent on core businesses for growth.
- Strategic Workforce Plan - designed a "roadmap" linked to the revenue forecast, which:
- Identified the key players and the revenue goals needed to sustain organizational growth.
- Pinpointed the gaps (from turnover and growth), hiring needs, and revenue goals of the new employees to reach projected revenue goals.
- Created a five-year hiring plan, broken down by division, department and staff level necessary to reach goals.
- Strategic Initiatives – identified critical programs to support the revenue forecast i.e. public relations, marketing and other business development initiatives. In addition, FutureSense helped the firm recognize and develop strategic workforce programs to build bench strength and capacity through talent development, acquisition and retention strategies.
FutureSense's approach to this project went beyond the traditional "consultancy role" by taking a holistic, collaborative path that simultaneously focused on the people, culture, strategy and finances of the firm. Seeing the "big picture" allowed us to create a roadmap that detailed the successful transition of the firm's current state to their future desired state.
Using a balanced approach FutureSense was able to successfully support our client's goal of increasing revenue, while honoring the firm's past successes and future endeavors. As a result of our success with this work, we were asked to help develop a management strategy to ensure that the right leadership model, structure, processes, and plans are in place to ensure maximum effectiveness.